San Diego, CA
The Product Manager reports to the CMO for email security suite of products. The Product Manager will be responsible for defining the technical requirements and business direction in products by conducting competitive and market analysis, producing MRDs/PRDs, coordinating product launches, and supporting sales efforts for strategic accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare reports of market and competitive products analysis findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text.
- Justify business decisions about product, positioning, etc. with ironclad business case.
- Devise and evaluate methods and procedures for collecting data.
- Create MRDs and PRDs with prioritized features, their justification and use cases.
- Be a thought leader on the customer experience prioritizing and proposing improvements for product and other experience elements.
- Drive the identification, development and implementation of new product functionality and enhancements.
- Determine the priority of features within the overall product plan (MRD).
- Translate features and enhancements into specifications that are used by engineers during their development (PRD).
- Determine the scope and schedule of product releases (Roadmap).
- Manage the checklist for the product release
- Work with various cross-functional team consisting of representatives from all operational areas.
- Provide content and support to other marketing team members for product features, messaging, updates, and roadmap.
- Communicate the capabilities of the products to customers, partners and internal staff.
- Enage with customers, partners, etc to gain market feedback and requirements, which may include conducting surveys/studies to determine customer needs and to define new product functionality.
- Participate in the analysis of the market landscape and competitive threats/opportunities, including detailed analysis of key competitors.
- Other duties as needed.
Seek and provide information to help the company determine their position in the marketplace – to define our winning niche.
Publish written materials for internal consumption primarily by product cross-functional team and management.
Requirements and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to make solid business decisions.
- Must possess a strong ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Must be able to present materials with confidence in front of groups of less than 30 people in a room.
- Must be able to convert complex technical ideas into digestible nuggets for less technical sales staff and partners.
- 5+ years of experience as a product manager.
- 3-5 years directly related domain knowledge about web and email gateways, protocol filtering, deep packet inspection, SaaS, multi-tenant hosted services and other related disciplines.
- Must have experience with knowledge management products (e.g., SharePoint, Media Wiki, etc.).
- Certification in product management, pragmatic marketing or PDMA a plus.
- 5+ years of experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and project management/tracking programs.
- 5+ years of experience working in a Windows/Mac environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Management, related discipline or related experience is a requirement.
- Master’s degree is a plus.